Followers

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Hero Arts Show & Tell Photo Celebration

Hello,

Hero Arts is celebrating their 45th anniversary!  And they are hosting a Show & Tell Photo Sharing Celebration, and we are invited to share our first Hero Arts stamp(s) and memories.  How fun!!


I discovered rubber stamping while looking for a gift for my young niece 20 years ago. I bought her a Hero Arts wood mount stamp set that consist of three flowers and it came with a double-sided ink dauber.  I thought it was so fun and I got hooked to the hobby myself. 


This is the very first Hero Arts stamp set I got, it's from 1999.  In those days I mostly just make Christmas cards, and in 2003 I decided to enter a Hero Arts contest.   I took a photo of the card but it's not very clear, and I didn't even add any watermark on it.  It was just for my record.  Never have I imagine that one day I would share it on the World Wide Web! 


I didn't win the contest that time, but to my surprise I received a stamp from Hero Arts a few months later.  That was really kind of them and it gave me the encouragement to keep trying!!   Then I purchased more Hero Arts stamps and slowly build up my stash.  Here's are a few of the earlier ones.




Fast forward to 2008, Hero Arts was hosting their challenges on-line via Flickr.  After lurking around and having seen all those beautiful and inspiring challenge cards in the Hero Arts Flickr group pool, I took the courage to enter again, I did a lot better this time around (my card was picked as the Spinner Winner).  :)


That gave me a big boost of confidence.  Since then I have learnt a lot more about stamping and entered many more challenges, I even signed onto a couple design teams, and helped organized the Hero Arts Flickr Group Scramble challenge for a little while. 

Stamping trends comes and go, and I tried different things through out my stamping journey, but one thing remains unchanged, my dream of being on the Hero Arts design team.  :D

For this very special celebration, I have decided to do a make over of my first Hero Arts challenge card.  Even my style hasn't change too much, I could take better photo at the least!  LOL


I used the same Little Greetings Holiday Stamp and the Krylon 18kt Gold Leafing Pen from my original project, and added in the Color Layering Poinsettia and matching frame cut.  My made over card measures 4.25 by 4.25 inches.  I also stamped the envelope too.


Thank you so much for making it this far and hear my stamping story!  I look forward to hearing yours too!
Supplies

Horo Arts Little Greetings Holiday LL516
Hero Arts Mid-tone Shadow Ink (Red Royal, Butter Bar)
Ranger Distress Ink (Peeled Paint, Crushed Olive, Chipped Sapphire, Barn Door)
Memento Dye Ink (Tuxedo Black)
Krylon 18kt Gold Leafing Pen
Ranger Stickles (Diamond)







6 comments:

Betty said...

what a fun post, Cindy - i'd forgotten all about those little sponge daubers - and love that you did a remake of one of your early cards.

Virginia L. said...

What a precious post, Cindy!! You are a PRO in stamping, that's for sure. I didn't come on the online stamping scene till 2009 (although I was secretly stamping behind the Wold wide web before that). I have the same HA shadow stamp that I got from Michael's. Its funny how we have learned and evolved! I am so glad that you are in my stamping life, my friend! ps: So glad that you join the fun with my “Show & Share”! WONDERFUL!

Karen L K said...

Ah that was fun to read Cindy! I can't remember all the details of my early stamping but Hero Arts has always been one of my favorite companies. I think I have one of those double daubers. It is fun to look back and see how we have evolved as stampers. I do have a few old photos of some cards. I will just say I like most of my cards the last couple years much more than I old cards when I look back on them.

Lin said...

Wonderful post, Cindy - I really enjoyed hearing your story of how you started stamping! And I love that you redid your first card - today's version is gorgeous!

Judy1223 said...

Cindy, what a great post! I had a similar story...sent in a card for a Hero Arts challenge in the 1990's, got a stamp set as a gift from them, and so it began! I, too, took photos of my cards just like yours...no water mark, etc. It is fun to see how far we have all come, isn;t it? Your remake is fantastic! Thanks for sharing your story...very fun to read!

Vikki H said...

Beautiful redo! It's fun recalling HA memories because they truly were the first for many of us. The layering poinsettia set was a 2018 purchase for me and I love how you used it in both of your cards.